UK Sales Manager
At a glance
Birdie is a digital care companion transforming the way we look after the elderly living at home so that our loved ones can live at home longer, healthier and happier.
Salary: TBC + Equity
Market: Health Tech / Elderly Care
Company size: 60+
Office: Flexible - fully remote or use of office in Angel, N London
Website > https://birdie.care/
Full Job Description
Birdie is a pioneer in social innovation. Our vision is to build a society in which we all age with confidence. With a rapidly growing ageing population, overcrowded care homes and social care services under water, we’re facing a social crisis.
We ’re on a mission to reinvent care so that older generations can live longer, healthier and happier in their own homes, surrounded by their families and their communities. We use digital products, cutting-edge home connected devices and AI to empower the care community to deliver better, preventative care.
Launched in 2017, Birdie is a team of 60 socially motivated care, health, product and tech entrepreneurs. We were nominated one of the top 10 UK startups to watch, the SME with the best culture in the UK and one of the top healthtech startups in Europe.
We are building the organisation of the future that will not only improve the lives of millions of older adults but also of our team members, our communities and will protect the environment. We demonstrate our values in everything we do. We care; we succeed together; we grow individually and strive for excellence; we are smart, brave and ambitious; and we nurture fun and a little quirkiness.
We are looking for a UK Sales Manager to support and develop Birdie’s sales team, reporting to the Chief Commercial Officer. You’ll take responsibility for building your sales team, onboarding, coaching and developing your team to success, motivating and inspiring your team to achieve their goals, and optimising our sales cycle. You’ll be hands-on with the sales team, but will also need to drive strategic initiatives, whether directly within sales, or working closely with other functions such as Product, Customer Success and Marketing.
How you will contribute
● Motivate and inspire your team to exceed our ambitious business goals;
● Design, measure, iterate and optimise our sales playbook to optimise sales cycle times,
average order values, customer acquisition cost and conversion rates, and ensure the
team confidently and effectively sells to the market;
● Drive the learning and development of our Sales Development and Sales Execution
teams to achieve and exceed their new business revenue targets, through structured
training programmes, as well as 1-1 coaching and mentorship covering both ‘hard’ and
● Assess sales metrics and translate insight into improvements by developing behaviours,
skills or processes;
● Hire, onboard and train new members of the sales team as and when needed;
● Provide clear monthly forecasting and reporting of sales performance to the entire
● Collaborate with Chief Commercial Officer to build annual and quarterly sales plans,
defining hiring goals, KPIs, and corresponding revenue output;
We’d love to hear from you if you:
● Have a history of operating with high integrity, and high emotional awareness;
● Are able to motivate a team to high performance, managing challenging situations
effectively, and driving accountability amongst the team;
● Are able to develop and execute data-driven processes to diagnose skill deficiencies,
customise coaching plans, and demonstrate improvements in sales performance;
● Are comfortable using data and repeatable processes to set goals, assess progress, and
accurately forecast outcomes;
● Are intellectually curious, constantly refining how to be best-in-class, and wanting to
learn, improve and develop yourself;
● Are able to codify, test, implement and optimise steps all throughout the sales cycle, and
apply best practice and proven sales methodologies to our market;
● Are an excellent communicator, both written and verbal, and can simplify complex topics
in a way that anyone can understand;
● Get things done and are willing to step up, roll up your sleeves and take ownership;
● Are comfortable with an ambiguous, changing, energetic, start-up working environment;
● Are inspired by, and seek to embody our values.
● 4+ years of B2B SaaS sales experience (required);
● 2+ years of entrepreneurial experience e.g. startup founder, startup early stage employee,
leading international expansion for an established business or launching a new product /
● Have led a sales team (required), of 8+ people (desired);
● Social care or health experience (desired but not required);
These are our ideal requirements, but we know some people are less likely to apply for the role unless they are 100% qualified. We promote a diverse, inclusive and empowering culture at Birdie, so please apply if you meet the majority of these competencies.
What are the benefits?
We have put together an exciting and highly attractive package for this role.
- Competitive salary up to £75k OTE - dependent on skills, experience and ambition
- Eligible to equity
- Private health insurance + pension employer contribution
- Personal learning & development budget
- A flexible Wellbeing Budget
- Flexible working options; we're all remote at the moment, and while we do currently have
an office, we're working towards becoming a distributed-first company
- 25 days of holiday + bank holidays
- A generous wellbeing leave policy
- An enhanced equal parental leave policy in place from January 2021
- Frequent company socials, trips and meals - believe us we have fun!
Join Birdie and seize this unique opportunity to shape the future of a transformative tech startup, to create positive social change, and develop yourself very fast in a flat, flexible, close-knit & transparent organisation.
We have a grand vision to transform how society deals with ageing, starting with radically improving the lives of 1 million older adults in the next 3 years. We dream big and speed is of the essence.
We’re all entrepreneurs at Birdie. We’re a flat organization, with no manager to tell you what to do but a community of peers and coaches to support you.
We’re highly collaborative and iterative. Everything we do is transparent to anyone, be it objectives and key results, compensation packages and equity or strategic conversations.
Growing with trust is key. Everyone sets their own development plan and gets support to learn fast, from training to books or coaches. We live by radical candour: we give honest feedback and care deeply & personally about each other.
Check our blog to get a feeling of our culture and vision. And join us now to improve the lives of millions!
Equal Opportunities Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and we strive to reduce unconscious bias throughout our hiring process. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, family or parental status, national origin, veteran, neurodiversity status or disability status.
We endeavour to embrace diversity, and promote an inclusive environment for all Birdies, and actively work towards this with our Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
How to apply...
We take care of the entire process for you so we can manage and remove poor experiences like ghosting, no feedback, no updates and so on 🙌
All you have to do is let your Relationship Manager know you’re interested, ask them any questions you have and they will take care of the rest.
Straight to the front
From there, what’s next is super simple 😇
If you like the initial sound of the company/ role. We then act as your “in” with them and set up an initial phone chat with you and the Hiring Manager there.
The chat will be pretty informal and should only last 10-15 minutes - It's a fact find for both of you.
More than prepared
Before the call we will send you EVERYTHING you'll need to know about the company / who they are looking for / format of the call and so on.
You will be fully prepared and know what to expect at every stage 😀